I had never cooked asparagus. I loved it when I ate it at restaurants – however not something I grew up eating neither is it native to Indian cuisine. Well with my husband and I moving towards including more and more veggies in our diet I finally gave in and purchased a bunch at Whole Foods.
The timing worked out since a co-worker (non-Indian) was coming over for dinner – I had planned an Indian food feast (menu: chicken tikka masala, pav bhaji, cumin cashew nut brown rice) but thought of grilling asparagus as a side dish. Or more so as a back-up so she has some familiar ingredients/flavors. I did my research and asparagus was definitely a safe bet. Easy to cook – definitely as compared to everything else I was planning on cooking. I realized I did not need to monitor the asparagus while it is in the oven.
mytip: When planning the menu for a party or dinner with friends plan at least one or two dishes that are not as time, labor, or ingredients intensive.
I turned on the oven to pre-heat (400 deg F) – rinsed the asparagus in cold running water and was ready to take it on. I looked at my co-worker now what? She smiled and said to cut out the hard ends (about 1-2 inches, the knife should easily cut through). Done. Placed them in an oven proof dish – seasoned with some sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, added sliced garlic and drizzled some olive oil. Off it went in the oven (400 deg F) for 20-30 minutes.
Is it ready? Well just check if they are “fork tender” – i.e. just check if a fork pierces through and comes out easily. Yay! It is ready – finally before serving I sprinkled some lemon juice and grated parmesan cheese.
mythoughts: Loved the simplicity – was intrigued that it had taken me so long to try it at home – easily doable on a weeknight – perfection at first attempt!
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- lemon juice to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 deg F.
- Rinse the asparagus and cut off about 1-2 inch(es) at the bottom of the stalks.
- Place the asparagus in an oven proof dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and give it a quick toss.
- Thinly slice garlic cloves and add them to the asparagus.
- Place the dish in the oven and set the timer for 20-30 mins.
- Check if the asparagus is “fork tender”.
- Before serving sprinkle some lemon juice and parmesan cheese.