The combination of orange and chocolate is just heavenly. I’m not a big fan of buttercream frosting so went for fresh cream frosting. It’s delicate, fluffy and has an addictive orange flavor. These minis are simply delish.
- 1 yellow cake mix (or ingredients per any basic cake recipe except water)
- orange juice (1 cup + 1/4 cup)
- orange food color (or red + yellow food color)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- confectionary sugar (add per taste; ~1/4 cup)
- mini-chocolate chips
- chocolate sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 350deg F (or follow instructions per cake mix box).
- Make the cake batter using any basic cake recipe or using a yellow cake mix EXCEPT substitute water with orange juice (with or without pulp; ~1 cup)
- Line mini-cupcake pan with liners (regular cupcake pan can also be used).
- Add spoonfuls of the batter within the liners until 3/4 full. Drop in 4-5 mini-chocolate chips to each cupcake.
- Bake until when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (~15-20 mins). Let the cupcakes cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are baking — start beating the heavy cream, slowly incorporate sugar and leftover orange juice, and food color. The frosting can get a bit runny so incorporate orange juice gradually. Whip until stiff peaks are form. Taste and adjust sugar per taste. Store in the refrigerator until use.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled top a spoonful of the fresh cream frosting on each cupcake and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles.
- mytip: The cupcakes can be prepared in advance but the frosting needs to be made fresh and consumed immediately.